Friday, October 22, 2010

Corn & Tomato Salsa


Shucking corn isn't exactly my favorite thing to do on a Thursday night, but a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do! Last night I wanted to make a salsa, but something a little more colorful and that I could add to the tacos I wanted for dinner.....I'm still on the Mexican theme, lol.  This was a wonderful topping on the tacos and delicious with some organic corn chips from Fresh & Easy.

So now some not so good news......I forgot to wear gloves.  I ended up with some horrendous capsaicin burns on my hands.  After I finished eating the pain became so intense that I couldn't sleep until after midnight.  I was soaking my hands in everything, I really mean everything - vinegar, antacids in water, milk, sugar water, peppermint oil, lavender oil, toothpaste, pepto-bismol (or however you spell that weird pink stuff), ice packs, soap and water, aloe vera, oatmeal and I'm sure more things, it was insane.  Today my hands are still burning so I'm carrying around ice packs and it's barely 50 degrees!!  Well eventually it has to stop right?

Now down to the good stuff......

Corn & Tomato Salsa
Corn kernels shucked from one ear of corn cooked for 6 minutes and drained
1 cup diced tomatoes
1/2 cup diced red onion
1 Tbsp fresh cilantro chopped
1 Tbsp diced serrano pepper (remove the veins and seeds)
1/2 Tbsp olive oil
the juice from 1/4 of a lime
2 dashes of Himalayan Salt

Mix all ingredients in a bowl and serve as an accompaniment to any dish.
freshly shucked corn
the salsa with the other taco fixings - lettuce and cabbage

The final product




No comments:

Post a Comment