Thursday, March 3, 2011

Vegan Grain/Gluten-Free Apple Quinoa Burgers


Someone once asked me why I don't post breakfast recipes and jokingly I said "no one wants to have what I have for breakfast"!  My breakfast consists of juicing apples, carrots (some times) kale and mixing in our Power Up/Make Mom Proud Shake.  It's green madness!  Well, so what happens to my pulp is the fun part!  Well, maybe it's fun for me....I feel it to my doggie, Mu.  She loves apple pulp, but when she takes a bite she makes this face like "ewe, what was that?" and then realizes she likes it and comes back for more.  Ever bite is like that.  It's quite entertaining!

So after all that!..... my left over pulp occasionally makes it into my famous Apple Quinoa Burgers.  Now I use the term "famous" very loosely.  They are famous to my mom, really.  She gets very excited when I make these. ENJOY!!!

Vegan Grain/Gluten-Free Apple Quinoa Burgers
Pulp from 2 Apples
Pulp from 1 Carrot
1 zucchini, finely grated
2 tablespoons Almond Flour
2 tablespoons Potato Starch
2 tablespoons Tapioca Starch
1/2 teaspoon Herb Stop's Italian Seasoning Powder
1/2 teaspoon Herb Stop's Bar-b-Quick
1/2 teaspoon Herb Stop's Anytime Salt
1/2 teaspoon Herb Stop's Onion Granules
1/2 teaspoon Herb Stop's Garlic Powder
1 teaspoons Grapeseed Oil
1 cup Quinoa
1/2 tablespoon Herb Stop's Make Mom Proud/Power Up Power Shake
1/2 tablespoon Herb Stop's Vegetable Broth

Wash quinoa well.  Add to a medium pan and cover 1 inch with water.  Add Make Mom Proud/Power Up Power Shake and Vegetable Broth.  Cook until all the water is absorbed and the germ is visible.

Collect the pulp from your juicer after juicing two apples and one carrot.  In a small bowl combine pulp and shredded/grated zucchini in a bowl.  Mix in Almond Flour, Potato Starch, Tapioca Starch and Grapeseed Oil and set aside.

Once quinoa has cooled enough to handle, add to apple mixture. Mix very well.

In a large frying pan, add grapeseed oil and heat over medium high heat.  Form quinoa mixture into patties.  They will be fairly sticky - if you keep your hands moist it should help out.  Gently place in the frying pan and cook for 5-7 minutes on each side until the outside is firm to the touch. Once finished cooking, place on a paper towel to absorb the extra oil.  ENJOY!!

quinoa cooking with broth and power shake
shredded zucchini
carrot and apple pulp
zucchini, apple and carrot mixed
apple mix with flours and spices
apple mix, blended
apple mix blended with quinoa
shaped into burgers and frying.
burger with mustard on one of my dinner rolls

No comments:

Post a Comment