Monday, January 31, 2011

Vegan Southwest Walnut Bean Burgers

 

So.  My mom and I ordered a 20 lb box of organic non-gmo walnuts.  Needless to say, I've been busy cracking shells and trying to figure out what to do with that many nuts!  Although they are so delicious....I think I'm drooling just thinking about them....I have to figure out what to do with them.  I had a craving for my black bean burgers, but I wanted to change them up.  I also wanted to use my dinner roll recipe and make them into sandwich buns, which really worked well.  This delicious burger was incredibly yummy, quite a bit of heat - but just the right amount!  ENJOY!


Vegan Southwest Walnut Bean Burgers

1 can of Black Beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 large Red Onion, diced
1 Red Bell Pepper, diced
Grapeseed Oil, for sautee ing
1/2 cup walnut halves, pulverize to a meal
2 tablespoons Potato Starch
2 tablespoons Tapioca Starch
2 teaspoons Herb Stop's Southwest Spice 
1 teaspoon Herb Stop's Chipotle Salsa Seasoning
1/8 teaspoon Herb Stop's Himalayan Salt (optional)

Pulverize walnuts to a meal.  Make sure not to make walnut butter, just a meal.  Sautee onion and bell pepper in oil until limp.  In a large bowl, mash black beans until near smooth.  Add the rest of the ingredients to the beans and mix very well.  Separate mixture into 6 equal pieces and shape into burgers.  In a large skillet, heat some grapeseed oil over medium high heat.  Cook burgers on each side for about 5-7 minutes, until well cooked.  

To make dinner rolls - make batter for Amazing Vegan Bread Sticks and Dinner Rolls (http://veganisnotjustsalad.blogspot.com/2010/12/amazing-vegan-bread-sticks-and-dinner.html).  Separate mixture into four equal pieces.  Flatten until each piece is about 4 inches wide.  Bake for 25-30 minutes.

ENJOY!!!!

sauteed onion and bell pepper
All mixed up
patties
all cooked up
If you don't want the dinner roll, you can just add lettuce leaves, onion and tomatoes and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment