Monday, January 31, 2011

Grain-Free/Vegan - Curried Cauliflower Quinoa


Another quick fix dinner was necessary last night!  I was starving and exhausted from a long week and lack of sleep.  I thought about my Easy Quinoa Delight, but I just made that last week.  After looking through our spice drawer, I decided I was in the mood for curry!!!   Monday is usually grocery shopping day, so as I rummaged through the fridge, I was incredibly luck to find the perfect pairing....cauliflower!  Yaaaaay!!!  As this was baking I made some dinner rolls - with added spices.

After eating, I fell asleep on the couch at 6:30!!!  Yes, 6:30!!  So at 9:30 my hubby kindly woke up to let me know a tiny little oopsy I had made :/  Yes, sadly, I had left the oven on with the dinner rolls inside.  So, they had been baking for over 3 hours....uhhhhhh.....oops :-D!!!  Well, I decided to put them into a plastic bag and into the fridge...perhaps they would make nice croutons?  HA!  I was sadly mistaken!  I took them out this morning and I had mini frisbees!  Oh well....perhaps the vita-mix can eat them up into bread crumbs?  Sure hope so!!!  I guess I should be happy I didn't burn the house down!  Perhaps I take after my Mom, who has set the toaster oven on fire several times?????  I always tell my husband "it's a good thing I married a fireman!"

Curried Cauliflower Quinoa
1 cup Quinoa
1/2 tablespoon Grapeseed Oil
1/2 head of cauliflower, cut into mini florets
1-2 teaspoons Herb Stop's Organic Curry Powder
1 cup Cashew pieces
2 teaspoons Herb Stop's Onion Soup & Dip Mix
2 teaspoons Herb Stop's Vegetable Broth
3 cups Water
Himalayan Salt - optional

Add grapeseed oil to a large skillet.  Sautee quinoa, curry, cashews, onion soup mix and vegetable broth until all the oil has been absorbed into the quinoa.  Cover with the water.  Bring to a boil and reduce to a hard simmer.  In about 15 minutes, check the quinoa.  If it has begun to open up, add the cauliflower.  Cook an additional 5 minutes.  Serve hot with extra curry powder over the top, if desired, and added salt. ENJOY!

2 comments:

  1. Leilah, I made this and it was so simple and good! I really appreciate recipes like this one! Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pam, I'm glad you enjoyed this one! I like simple recipes too!
    -Natalie

    ReplyDelete