Monday, November 8, 2010

Veggie Polenta Rounds


As my husband and I strolled down the isles of Fresh & Easy after a very long day of reorganizing the garage, I was pondering dinner on a very empty stomach.  Everything sounded good.  Then I looked up and found the organic polenta.  When I was very sick my diet was limited to polenta in broth and plain potatoes.  The idea of eating polenta a year ago would have made my stomach turn, but now that I'm not forced to eat it, I found myself desiring it!  So, since putting it into soup was not a mouth-watering option, I decided to make these delicious polenta rounds with fresh veggies.  They were very filling and delicious!

Veggie Polenta Rounds
Pre-made Polenta - sliced 1/4 inch thick
1/2 - 3/4 cup Vegan Marinara Sauce
1 cup Cauliflower florettes - slice very high up to get very small pieces
1 cup Broccoli florettes - slice very high up to get very small pieces
2 slices of red onion -1/8 inch thick- separate the outside pieces from the inside pieces
3 scallions - diced
1/2 teaspoon Herb Stop's Sprinkle and Rub
Grapeseed Oil for frying

Dice the red onion outer pieces.  Heat grapeseed oil in a frying pan on medium high heat and add diced red onion. Allow to cook until the oil has absorbed the flavor of the onion (about 2 minutes).  Add polenta rounds and cook until slightly crispy on both sides (about 5 minutes per side).

Cooking the polenta
While the polenta is cooking, heat the marinara sauce in a sauce pan.  In a separate pot with a steamer, add the cauliflower and broccoli.  Steam until cooked but not mushy.  Add the onion centers about 2 minutes before finished so that the onion becomes soft.

When the polenta is finished place on top of a paper towel to absorb some of the excess oil.  In the same frying pan add the veggie mix, Sprinkle and Rub and 2 of the diced scallion.  Sautee on high heat until well coated.
The veggies
Remove the polenta from the paper towel.  Arrange on a plate.  Top with marinara sauce, then cauliflower and broccoli and top with a an onion center.  Sprinkle the remaining scallion on top.  YUMMY!!

The final meal

1 comment:

  1. I have so much cornmeal left and was looking for some recipes. Thanks for your delicious cooking ideas.

    ReplyDelete