Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Grain/Gluten-Free Vegan Dr. Christopher-Style Dinners

I'm on a new journey....again!  I'm studying Dr. Christopher right now, whom I look up to as an herbalist almost as much as my Mom.  An amazing man, incredible courage, intelligence beyond imagination....I could go on and on.  As I'm reading Herbal Home Health, I find myself nodding and nodding and nodding.  Coming to the mucousless diet and reading about the pain that can ensue when you clear out all the caked on gross-ness in your colon, I felt inspired!  Perhaps this was what happened to me this last time.  All that cleansing really rocked something out of my body.  COOL!

Anyway....Dr. Christopher had some simple mucous producing food list.  This we call the No-No list.  Basically, no animal products - including meat, dairy and eggs, no salt (I don't know if I want to follow that part - unrefined salt is so healthy for you), no sugar (EEEK!), a few more things and of course, no processed foods.    A nice dinner, he suggested, would include a baked potato - skin and all, some steamed veggies, vegetable juice, a low temperature cooked grain (can't do this because of the allergy so I'll be using a lot of quinoa) and a huge vegetable salad.

So here I am, lost 7 lbs from being sick and I'm scared to eat for two reasons.  One - I don't want to have pain.  Two - as soon as I start eating I'll gain the weight back two fold.  Dr. Christophers plan was SOOOOOOOO much food!  Well, my husband was just going to have to love me even if I was huge.  I ate by his suggestion, minus the vegetable juice...I'm just not there yet, and I was full.  Now not like the Thanksgiving "ugh" full, but the "I feel really good" full.  I was nice and full until late the next morning.

So the big test was the scale.  I stepped on.  Uhhhhhh?  How did I lose a pound?  Must not have hit me yet.  Day two, lost another 1/2 pound.  Hrmmmmm.  Well here we are a couple week later and I'm down 12 pounds!  Almost at my wedding day weight!

So long story short.  I feel awesome.  I had to buy new pants.  I love Dr. Christopher <3

I'll be posting full a lot of full meals, because I really enjoy eating this way!  Enjoy!

Grain/Gluten-Free Vegan Dr. Christopher-Style Dinner #1

Grain/Gluten-Free Vegan Potato Squash Medley (My favorite mix)
2 medium Potatoes
1 Zucchini
1 Yellow Onion
Water
Seasonings

Using the french fry cutter on a mandolini slicer, slice all veggies into a medium pot.  Add 1/2-1 cup good water.  Heat on high until bubbling, reduce heat to medium (gas), low medium (electric).  Cook until potatoes are soft.  If there is left over water, take lid off and cook until water has evaporated. Add your favorite seasoning - I love using Herb Stop's Toasted Onion Salt.

Grain/Gluten-Free Vegan Beef-less Cashew Quinoa
2 teaspoons Herb Stop's Beef Flavored Broth or any broth of choice
1 cup washed Quinoa
2 cups Good Water
1 handful Cashew pieces
1/2 -1 teaspoon Herb Stop's Sprinkle & Rub Spice

Cover quinoa with water.  Mix in broth and spice.  Heat on high until simmering then reduce heat to low-medium.  Cover and check on water level every 5 minutes.  When water has about 5 minutes left to absorb, add cashews.  Sprinkle with your favorite salt - I also love Herb Stop's Toasted Onion Salt for this one too!

Grain/Gluten-Free Vegan Massive Salad
1 head of Lettuce, chopped/torn/however you like
1 handful of Cherry/Grape Tomatoes, sliced in half
1 Avocado, chopped
1/4-1/2 cup shredded cabbage
any other veggies you desire
3 tablespoons Olive Oil
1 tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar (or Apple Cider Vinegar)
1 clove Garlic
In a large bowl, add olive oil and push garlic through a garlic press.  Mix well.  Mix in all veggies, except lettuce.  Add vinegar and mix well.  Add lettuce and toss well.
nom nom nom!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment