Sunday, October 2, 2011

Grain/Gluten-Free Vegan Banana Bread with Cinnamon Topping


Oh yummy banana bread!  A long time ago I invented a banana bread, but it wasn't vegan - only grain-free.  Well, the other night I came home and the bananas were almost on the rotten side - they were really getting on the brown/black side.  My husband hates when I over buy food and when some things end up turning (I'm working on this issue) so I said .... Noooooooo, don't throw that out!  I decided I was going to try banana bread.  I searched through the folders of my food creations and found my old recipe.  Sure enough - my old flour blend with almonds was at the top of the list (bummer - I was out of almonds) followed by milk and eggs. Well, I was determined to make this happen!  I invented a new flour blend off the cuff and the milk could be replaced by almond milk and the eggs by egg replacer.  I would have to tweak things a bit, but I have to do that all the time.  This was moist and the texture inside had small pockets, just like bread.  Everyone was loving this one! Score!

Grain/Gluten-Free Vegan Banana Bread
2 cups Grain/Gluten-Free Vegan Flour Blend #1
1/3 cup Vanilla Almond Milk (I haven't tried the unsweetened yet)
2 Over Ripe Bananas
1/4 cup Grapeseed Oil
1 1/2 teaspoons Ener-G Egg Replacer + 2 Tablespoons Water (1 egg)
1/2 cup packed Brown Sugar
2 teaspoons Herb Stop's Aluminum-Free Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon Unrefined Salt (I used Herb Stop's Fine Sel Gris)

Cinnamon Topping
1/3 cup Grain/Gluten-Free Vegan Flour Blend #1
1/4 cup Brown Sugar
1/4 teaspoon Herb Stop's Vietnamese Cinnamon
2 Tbsp Spectrum Organic All Vegetable Shortening (Palm Oil --- NOT SOY)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Grease the bottoms and sides of mini-loaf pan (mine has 8 loaves - which is perfect for this recipe)
In a small bowl, add all the cinnamon topping ingredients.  Using a pastry blender, cut in the shortening until well incorporated.  Set aside.
In a small dish mix egg replacer and water until completely dissolved, set aside.
In a medium bowl add bananas and mash very well.  Add almond milk, oil and mix well.  Add remaining ingredients, including egg replacer.  Mix until only a couple lumps remain - those should be the bananas.
Pour batter, in equal amounts, into mini loaf pans.  This recipe will make 8 mini loaves.  Generously sprinkle topping over the breads.  Bake for 15 minutes and check with a tooth pick to make sure it's fully cooked.  If the bread needs more time, only add 2 minutes at a time.  The cinnamon topping can burn and become bitter if cooked too long.
fresh out of the oven...mmmmmmmm


nice and moist

perfect loaf!

No comments:

Post a Comment