Sunday, October 2, 2011

Grain/Gluten-Free Vegan "Flour" Blend #1

Throughout the years of being grain-free I've come up with a bazillion "flour" recipes.  Many of them were amazing, many of them complete failures.  This recipe started off with almond flour and was pretty good, but if you baked anything a long time it would taste bitter - yuck!  So, one night I was wanting to try to invent a banana bread  recipe and as I was pre-mixing the "flour" I realized that I didn't have almond flour!  I had already been busy in the kitchen making cashew butter, pesto, etc. and I didn't feel like playing with the vita-mix again.  As I rummaged through my cabinets I saw an unopened bag of Garbanzo/Fava Flour.  I've made breads with straight garbanzo and I didn't want to have that flavor in the banana bread - I thought the Fava might tone it down.

Turns out the banana bread was unbelievably delicious (recipe to come)!  I haven't had the opportunity to use this "flour" blend in anything else yet, but I'm sure it's going to be great for breads.  There were beautiful pockets, the bread rose nicely and there wasn't any grit.  I'm excited!

Grain/Gluten-Free Vegan "Flour" Blend #1
1 1/2 cup + 2/3 cup Potato Starch
1/2 cup Garbanzo/Fava Flour
1/3 cup Tapioca Flour
1 teaspoon Xanthan Gum

Mix all ingredients very well and store in a container for future use.


No comments:

Post a Comment