Sunday, December 5, 2010

Vegan Chili


The other day I went over to my Mom's house and she was making her husband a turkey chili that actually looked and smelled really yummy - I assumed it was because it was my Mom's food.  I think Mom's will always be the best cooks!  But then for the next 2 days all I could think about was chili!  How are you supposed to make a vegan chili meal? Well.....when the time came to make chili, it was after a very busy day and I was super hungry.  I needed food NOW!!  So we went to Basha's, luckily they have a giant natural foods section in Payson....yay!  I try not to used canned foods very often, but tonight was going to have to be simple. I picked up some canned organic diced tomatoes and organic black beans and we went home.  This meal was unbelievably filling and my non-vegan friends and family LOVED it!  I will definitely be making this again and without the cans....I'll post that recipe when it's done :)

Vegan Chili
3 tablespoons Grapeseed Oil
1 medium onion - chopped
1 clove of Garlic - pushed through a garlic press
1 cup Quinoa
2 - 3 cups water
1 Orange Bell Pepper - diced
2 cans Diced Tomatoes
1 tablespoon Herb Stop Southwest Mix
3/4 teaspoon Ground Cumin
1/4 teaspoon Himalayan Salt
1 can Black Beans - drained and very well rinsed

In a medium to large sauce pan, heat grapeseed oil over medium high heat.  When the oil is warm, add the onion and garlic.  Sautee until limp.  Add quinoa and sautee until all the oil has been absorbed - about 3 minutes - make sure you stir constantly.  Add 2 cups water, bell pepper, tomatoes and spices.  Reduce heat to medium and allow to cook until the quinoa germ is visible and the water is almost fully absorbed.  During this process make sure to stir occasionally and check the water level.  You may need to add more water depending on evaporation. (I used 2 1/2 cups this time).   Add beans and cook for an additional 5 minutes.  Serve nice and hot.  YUMMY!  The more you reheat this meal, the better it gets!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment