Sunday, December 5, 2010

Cranberry Sauce with Lime


I've never made cranberry sauce before.  Since I've become vegan, my palate has changed.  I never liked cranberries but now I do!  I found some organic fresh cranberries at Sunflower Market the week before Thanksgiving, which was exciting......but what do I do to make sauce???   Everything called for orange juice and I didn't have any.  So the wheels were turning and this came out unbelievable!  My mom said she wanted it for jam the next day, so she was the lucky winner of these left overs!

Cranberry Sauce with Lime
2 cups Fresh Cranberries - washed & de-stemmed
1/3 cup Herb Stop Lemon Sugar
2/3 cup Herb Stop Cane Juice Sugar
1 cup Water
Zest From One Medium Lime

Place water into a medium sauce pan, add sugars. Heat to boiling over medium heat, stirring occasionally.  Boil for 5 minutes.  Add in cranberries.  Stir well.  Heat back to boiling and boil until cranberries are done popping (I didn't know this about cranberries, but the cranberries release natural pectin when they pop and thats how it gels up - pretty neat!), about 5 minutes. Turn of heat and add lime zest.  Stir very well.  Cover and store in the refrigerator over night.
fresh cranberry sauce

No comments:

Post a Comment