Monday, May 21, 2012

Grain/Gluten-Free Vegan Awesome Apple Pie


Along my raw vegan journeys, I'm starting to look for easy recipes.  I was searching for apple pie recipes and they all had a dozen ingredients.....I just wanted apple pie!  I came home one day and my husband was working on his truck (typical man stuff) and I decided .... it's time to create an apple pie.  I thought apples pair well with raisins, walnuts and of course cinnamon....voila!  The reviews by my husband and his buddies were "better than regular apple pie" and that convinced me to post this one!

Grain/Gluten-Free Vegan Awesome Apple Pie
The Crust:
1 cup Seedless Thompson Raisins (trader joes has a great organic one)
1 cup Walnuts
the seeds from 1/2 Vanilla Bean
dash of Himalayan Salt

In a Medium bowl gently mix all ingredients.  Grind the ingredients until they are stuck together and mostly ground but still a little chunky.  Press into an 8 or 9 inch pie plate.

The Filling:
5 Gala Apples - peeled, cored and sliced very thin
1/2 cup Raw Agave Nectar
1 Tablespoon Fresh Lemon Juice
1/2 teaspoon Herb Stop's Pumpkin Pie Spice
dash of Himalayan Salt

Mix the agave, lemon, pumpkin pie and salt until well mixed.  Pour mixture over the apples and gently toss until very well coated.  To make things easy, I just poured them into the crust.  If you want a pretty pie, you'll have to lay them individually into a circle. (waaaaay too much time for a hungry vegan!)

The Topping:
1/4 cup Pecans
1/4 cup Walnuts
1/4 cup Seedless Thompson Raisins
dash of Himalayan Salt

Grind the ingredients together until crumbly and a little sticky.  Sprinkle over the top of the apple pie.  ENJOY!!!!

The crust

yummy apple filling!


No comments:

Post a Comment