Friday, February 10, 2012

Grain/Gluten-Free Vegan Chocolate Cream Pie (Raw-ish)


Oh comfort food!  This can be a little difficult to accomplish without sugar, artificial flavors, gelatin and all the other nasty-ness that just tastes so good!  After I received some bad news this week, I decided that I was going to make this comfort food business happen!  Thank god it was delicious because I really needed that piece!

I recently discovered the joys of chocolate mousse made with avocados and it's hard not to eat it all day!  Last night I decided to make a pie out of the mousse and oh man am I glad I did!

I will admit that the crust is a little sticky, but it is really tasty that way.  With this pie, I used coconut milk and coconut shavings sprinkled over the top for a little extra flavor.  I'm going to try coconut flour for the crust as well.  The options are limitless - you could use oranges, raspberries, etc.

Grain/Gluten-Free Vegan Chocolate Cream Pie (Raw-ish)
The Crust:
2 cups + Almond Flour - blanched if possible
1/4 cup Agave Nectar
1 1/2 - 3 Tablespoons Earth Balance Soy Free Butter Substitute (amount depends on how buttery you would like the crust) - If you wanted to be completely raw, you could substitute with coconut/grapeseed oil.
1/4 teaspoon Fine Unrefined Salt - I used Herb Stop's Sel Gris Fine

Place all ingredients in a medium bowl and mix well until the crust is well blended.  I had to add an extra couple tablespoons of the almond flour because it was a little too sticky.  Use your judgement.  Using an 8 or 9 inch pie plate, push the blend into the plate, with wet fingers, to create a pie crust. Store in the refrigerator.

Chocolate Mousse/Cream
1/4 cup Maple Syrup
3/4 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 1/2 mashed Ripe Avocado - about 3/4 cup
6 tablespoons Dutched Cocoa Powder (any unsweetened cocoa powder works)
1/4 cup Coconut Milk
Chocolate Shavings (optional)
Dry Shredded Coconut (optional)

Place all ingredients in a food processor except the chocolate shavings and shredded coconut - I used my magic bullet.  I would guess that if you didn't have a food processor, as long as you mashed really really well, you could make this without one.  Blend until creamy.  This can be a little tricky because it's thick.  I tap the and shake the magic bullet.  If using a traditional food processor, scrape down the sides.

Pour the Chocolate Mousse/Cream in the previously made pie crust and top with chocolate shaving and coconut.  Refrigerate for 1-2 hours.  Serve cold.

DELICIOUS!

pie crust
chocolate mousse/cream
with chocolate shavings
yummy!  


2 comments:

  1. Natalie, you are in my thoughts and prayers with your bad news. Hope all turns out well. I also had some disappointment this week as granddaughter Lily (my daughter Heather's daughter) could not receive her chemo treatment this week because of super low blood count. This pie may be just the thing we need to give some comfort.....thanks for sharing! I know when I was in The Herb Stop we talked about this recipe and I was delighted to see it. Thanks Again, Love Ya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joanne, you are so sweet! Thank you for thinking of me :) I'm so sorry to hear about Lily. What are they doing about it now? Does she just have to take a break from the chemo? How is Heather handling this? If it's white blood cells, can she take Astragalus? If there is anything we can do, please please please tell us! She is such a precious girl <3

    I hope you get a chance to enjoy the recipe. It's really delicious. Thanks again for your thoughts, they are truly appreciated.

    Love Ya Too!!!

    ReplyDelete